I have a virus called Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] which pops up every 10 minutes to show 2 threats both seem to be from the same file in the same directory in the same folder which are:
Original Location: C:/Users/John/Dropbox/.dropbox.cache
How do I get rid of it? Please help!
What is Win32:Adware-gen [Adw]?
Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] is technically not a virus. It is actually an adware infection detected by Avast Antivirus, Avast Internet Security and other antivirus products. This infection often gets on your computer after you download and install some infected software to your computer. Please be careful with anything you attempt to install to your computer.
This adware infection is specifically designed to generate web traffic for its sponsored sites or make money through collecting sales leads from your browsing history. Once injected, it will install some adware to your computer and add toolbars to your web, and then it starts to display pop-up ads to your screen. As a result, you will have difficulty looking for the things you need since they are covered by the random ads.
Besides, as is previously mentioned, Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] can record your browsing history. It may also collect your private information (such as accounts details) through tracking cookies. It is both annoying and dangerous to have this adware infection in your computer. Please follow the guide below to get rid of Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] completely.
How to Remove Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] Completely and Safely?
Here are two removal guides that help you remove Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] Virus. One is manual guide; the other is automatic guide. You can pick up the one your like to start your removal.
Method A: Manually Remove Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] Virus with Simple Steps
Step 1.Uninstall Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] Virus related adware or PUP from your Control Panel
1) Access the Start menu.
2) Open Control Panel.
3) Launch Add or Remove Programs and eliminate any suspicious program.
Windows 7 or Windows Vista:
1) Launch the Start menu and select Control Panel.
2) Access Uninstall a program.
3) Remove any suspicious program.
Windows 8 or Windows 8.1:
1) Press the Windows key + Q.
2) Type Control Panel and click the icon.
3) Go to Uninstall a program and remove any suspicious program.
1) Tap the Windows key + I to launch Settings.
2) Click on Control Panel.
3) Open Uninstall a program.
4) Delete any suspicious program.
Step 2. Get Rid of Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] Virus in Windows Task Manager
1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Windows Task Manager.
2. Hit Process and then find and delete all malicious processes related to Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] Virus .
Step 3. Break away from Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] Virus in registries.
1. Press “windows” + “R” to load the Run dialog box
2. Type “regedit” in Runbox and clicking OK to open Registry Editor.
3. Find out and remove all listed hazardous items.
Step 4. Remove Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] Virus from different web browsers.
For Internet Explorer:
1. Open Internet Explorer, then click on the gear icon (Tools for Windows XP users) at the top (far right), then select Manage Add-ons.
2. From the Toolbars and Extensions tab, select Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] Virus and click on Disable.
3. On Search Providers, remove Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] Virus from the list.
For Mozilla Firefox:
1. Click on the button at the top right corner to open Menu >> Add-ons >> Extensions
2. Find Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] Virus related add-ons and delete them.
3. Press Alt +H on the homepage, select Troubleshooting Information and reset browser settings.
For Google Chrome:
1. Click on the Customize icon(wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools >> Extensions, and then find Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] Virus related add-ons and delete them.
2. Go to Chrome Menu >> Settings >> On startup >> Set pages
3. Click on the X button to delete it and add a new URL, for example, www.google.com.
(1). Settings >> Appearance >> Change
(2). Settings >> Search >> Manage search engines
Attention: If you are not confident to take the manual guide, you can take consideration to remove Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] Virus and related threats automatically with SpyHunter.
Method B: Automatically Remove Win32:Adware-gen [Adw] Virus with SpyHunter
SpyHunter is a real-time anti-malware program and automatic removal tool, which is able to help you elimianate most of computer threats such as spyware, worms, rootkits, and so on.
Step 1. Download SpyHunter into your machine.
1. Press the first picyure below to download SpyHunter and its files.
Step 2. Use SpyHunter to scan and detect all malicious processes.
If you find your computer runs slowly after the removal, you can continue the steps to clear up leftover and optimize your system.
RegCure Pro is a perfect program to help you clear up all unwanted files or configurations as well as optimize your system
Step 1. Download RegCure Pro by hitting teh icon below.
Step2. Hit Run to install the relevant grogram step by step.
Step3. Scan computer system >find out suspicious files > fix all problems.
Note: If you are a novice in PC operation and have no confidence to remove this vicious site and all hidden threats with manual process, you can install SpyHunter to help you dealt with it as well as protect your PC from it and similar threats. Moreover, you can optimize your system and restore files with RegCure Pro after getting rid of all threats.